Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Not crossing the Mackay bridge

I was going to take my son to his hockey practice tonight. Practice was at 7 PM in Musquodoboit Harbour. That's about an hour from where I work in Halifax. I left at 5 PM, expecting to be there in plenty of time, with lots of time allowed for traffic delays.

I didn't make it though. The trip started well but when I got to the Mackay Bridge, incredibly the bridge was closed! During rush hour!! The Macdonald bridge was hopelessly backed up and there was no way I'd be able to take him to hockey.

What happened? It turns out there was a 5 car accident on the bridge during rush hour. Nice one, idiot. And you know it was some idiot who caused it. Speeding, changing lanes repeatedly to pass, jamming his car into the narrowest spaces, cutting people off, anything to get an edge on his fellow drivers. One person was rushed to hospital in serious condition. I hope it was the person who caused the accident.

The roads are just lousy with this type of dangerous, aggressive driving. Even before I got near the bridge I noticed a lot of bad driving. Leaving Bayers Lake near the Wendy's this clown pulled out fast to pass me on the right barely between me in the left lane and a big truck right in front of him in the right lane. As a result of this dangerous and inappropriate move he was able to pass me and gun the light to take the left turn on "orange", i.e. somewhere between very late yellow and red.

Later on Dutch Village near Le Bar I "slowed", coasting at around 30 km/h as there are a couple of crosswalks and often pedestrians and cars trying to take the right off Percy street. Some young male idiot in a black sports car blasts past me on the left to get ahead. Then he cuts from the back of the right lane turning onto the overpass ramp to go to the front of the left Bedford lane. When the light went green he gunned it and cut off the guy waiting his turn at the front of the right hand overpass lane to cut in front of him and get an edge. His moves could have killed a pedestrian or caused a big accident but I guess he did save perhaps 20 seconds of time for his trouble.

As for the "left lane to Barrington Street only" at the Mackay Bridge. Screw that! What a joke that is. I see people all the time going left and then trying to cut in line at the very end, offering the people who waited their turn in the correct lane the choice of letting them in or being in an accident.

So with the dangerous and aggressive driving I see all the time on the road, especially at rush hour, it is no surprise that there are so often major delays on everyone as the result of accidents caused by the idiots. I wish the police would crack down more on the excessive speeding, tailgating, dangerous and improper passing, lane jumping, and gunning yellow/red lights. I'm so sick of pedestrians getting run over and massive delays caused by stupid reckless accidents.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree. Too many idiot drivers in Halifax, and the police do nothing (take a note of how many RCMP cars are parked at Tim Horton's near the airport each morning). That one accident caused nothing but havoc for everyone. It took me 2.5 hours to get home when it should only take 20 minutes. At least we know who the most hated person in HRM is tonight...the person who caused that accident. They should be held responsible for each person's time that was wasted because of that one idiot's poor driving.

Anonymous said...

Hi your a moron lol nice rant.