Friday, April 08, 2005

A great era for sports

I was talking to a co-worker in the lunch room and we agreed that recent years have been a good era to be a sports fan. For me I'm especially fond of the period around 1980-1999 or so.

There was kind of something for everyone. Football is my game. For football there was Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Joe Montana in their primes. On defence was Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White in their primes.

My Jets had a few good teams, especially in the early 80s. Those are my favorite Jets teams with Richard Todd, Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil.

For hockey there was Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux in their primes. Plus the high drama of the Canada Cups in 1984 and 1987.

For baseball fans in Canada both the Jays and Expos had some good teams. The Blue Jays champions of 1992-1993 was a great time. I watched so many games back then.

For basketball it was Michael Jordan in his prime.

No comments: