Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bought some football cards

I've switched over to getting my football cards sorted out. Baseball was about as far as it can go for now.

The football cards are pretty straightforward. I wanted to finally finish the 1981 Topps NFL set. Plus there were a few loose cards around and some later sets and subsets I just wanted to list and unload.

For the 1981 Topps NFL there was a good selection on sportlots. There were listings for all of the cards in the set. Prices were buyer friendly and I was able to get the remaining 20 cards or so from three different sellers. So now I've finished that set after all these years. I'd bought the cards at Wilkie's when they first came out. It's great to have this finally done.

Football card pricing is fractal. The top 10 cards in the 1981 Topps NFL set are worth about as much as the rest of the set combined. And the Joe Montana rookie card is worth as much as the rest of the top 10 combined. Luckily I had the Montana rookie card from way back and I wasn't faced with being short a card that sells for a minimum of around $100.


















With baseball there were various loose cards I listed on sportlots. There are a couple of o pee chee sales a month coming in so there is some buyer interest. I'd like to get a line on a bulk purchase of unskimmed o pee chee baseball cards from 1965-1983 in the range of 5-10 cents each.

That's about it for now for sports cards. Football and baseball are now done. It was a bigger project than I realized but I'm glad to get it this far.

The next project is hockey cards. That's a big project, with more cards across more sets than football and baseball. But I'm going to take a break from it for a few months before I begin hockey. I'm going to do some other projects first.

No comments: