Thursday, May 15, 2008

Back in town

I'm now back from my business trip to Waterloo. It was a good trip. I met a number of people I'd only known from e-mail and voices on conference calls. We had some good technical discussions too.

Waterloo is a pretty nice place. In addition to the high tech there are a number of big insurance companies there. Also there's Laurier University and Waterloo University. The weather was good. Waterloo is pleasant in a way that Ottawa isn't. I could see myself being able to live there.

I stayed at the Waterloo Inn. It was a nice place.

This is a picture of some baby ducks that were right outside the door by the indoor pool on the way to the hotel restaurant. There where 13 of them. Their mother was nearby just outside the picture.

On the Monday we had lunch with a bunch of people from work at the Mongolian Grill. That was a unique place and definitely worth visiting if you're ever near one. I believe there was one in Halifax for a while but unfortunately it was located in a low traffic mall and I didn't even know it was there until long after it closed.

On Tuesday evening we stopped in at Morty's Pub. That was a pretty good place. They had Rickard's white beer on tap which was a treat. One of the guys I was with ordered wings with suicide hot sauce. I tried a couple of them. Those wings were hot. So if you want cold beer and hot wings in Waterloo then check out Morty's.

On Wednesday we stopped in Mississauga for a meeting on the way back to the Pearson airport home. The meeting was in the afternoon. We left Waterloo around lunch time. One of us [there were three of us travelling] suggested to have lunch in Waterloo. But he was outvoted. Me and the other guy weren't very hungry yet and I was kind of eager to get out of town and not linger now that the business there was done. It's around an hour drive from Waterloo to Toronto. We stopped instead for lunch at the Subway in Milton next to the jail. That was a tough place I don't plan to return to.

The Pearson airport was nice both arriving and departing. It's really big, especially compared to Halifax. I hadn't flown in a long time. I was surprised at how much stuff there is in the departures area after you clear security. It was pretty much an entire mall at Pearson. Unfortunately our flight was delayed departing because some idiot checked her bags, then didn't board the flight. So the ground crew had to take around half an hour digging out her bags and removing them, then reloading the baggage. That was pretty annoying. That wasn't the airlines fault and all in all Air Canada was nice to fly with. I like these pre printed boarding passes.

The scale of Toronto is impressive. On the way driving out I couldn't believe how many trucks there were crowded together midmorning moving stuff into Toronto. Also there were so many big towers running power into that great city. I'm glad I got to at least set foot in Toronto. I hope to be able to return for a proper visit some day.

I'm a bit worn out today and I may be getting a sore throat. This travel can be kind of draining. On Monday I was up before 4 AM Atlantic time and was in the Waterloo office past 5:30 PM Eastern time. On Wednesday I was in the office at 9 AM Eastern but didn't arrive home until after 11:30 PM Atlantic. It was a good trip and it's good to be home again for a while. I'm not sure when I'll be on business travel again.

No comments: