Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Business traveling

I'm going on a business trip for the first time next week. I'm going to be in RIM head office in Waterloo from Monday to Wednesday. I'll be leaving Halifax in the Monday AM and returning home Wednesday in the PM. So I'll be there two nights.

The flight is actually to and from Toronto and we'll be driving to Waterloo. So I'll get to at least see Toronto a bit for the first time. One of those things in life I'd always meant to do. There's quite a few more on that list to slowly chip away at. We should get some free time on Tuesday at least in Waterloo so I hope to look around a bit. There's a tiny bit of specific shopping I hope to be able to do when I'm there. I don't think I know anyone in Waterloo now so I don't have anyone to visit there. My sister is in Ottawa but we're on the wrong side of Toronto to go there in the time I'll have.

I've been in high tech for over 10 years now. This is the first company trip I've gone on. That's kind of unusual for software. Usually a developer will go on some business trip some time sooner. Back at SupportSoft some developers traveled pretty extensively. For whatever reasons I was about the only developer in Halifax who didn't travel at least a little bit.

I'm not much of an airplane flyer or traveler in general. The last time I was out of Nova Scotia was to Moncton for the Rolling Stones in 2005. Before that was the PEI trip in the summer of 2005. The last time I was on an airplane was in 1994. I heard air travel is a bit different now.

I'm looking forward to it a bit. I'm not sure what to expect and I hope everything goes smoothly.

No comments: