Sunday, October 18, 2009

Donated blood again

I donated blood last week. I hadn't donated in a long time. By the records the last time was 2006. I didn't realize it was that long.

I kind of fell out of the routine and hadn't got around to setting up a new schedule.

I went to the Gottingen Street clinic after work when it was open on Thursday evening. I hadn't been to Gottingen St. in quite a while, around 10 years. The donation went pretty well. I went right through with no waiting. That was good luck. It only took 6 minutes to get the amount of blood they wanted so that was pretty quick. The treats at the end were good as always.

The nurse took my blood pressure before and said it was pretty good. I don't know what the numbers mean but they look pretty consistent with the numbers on the card from years back. I should look up what the blood pressure numbers mean. Still it's good to get a good report.

I'll probably continue to go to the Gottingen St. evening clinic. That works pretty well for where I live now. In the past I went to a mobile clinic at the local community centre. The best time for donating was when I was at BIO as a software contractor for Y2K. They had the clinic right in the facility in the auditorium during daytime business hours. That was so convenient.

Now that I went again I can get into a new routine. I can do a bit better than every 3 years for donating. Maybe not every 2 months but more than once a year is definitely possible.

No comments: