Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Short History of Nearly Everything

I finished up another book. I read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

It was ok, good in parts. It's basically the history of science and the history of humanity. He talked about geology a lot in the first sections. At 478 pages I kind of wished his "short history" had been a bit shorter. It was a bit of a slog. It's hard because the subject is of course vast. Still with a bit tighter editing I think about 50 pages could have been cut and still get the same essential content across. I gained a new respect for biology after reading it. I hadn't realized how scientific biology is.

So now I should do some lighter reading, some easier fiction perhaps. I don't have anything lined up to read at this time. I got this book for Christmas so my reading productivity has been pretty poor so far this year. Been busy with other projects which are getting closer to wrapped up. So that should free up some time for reading and other priorities.

No comments: