Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bad remixes 90s crap

I was at the Copper Penny with an old friend from high school a few nights ago. They have a pretty standard setup. There was a band which played rock. During the breaks they played dance and hip hop.

I do not like dance music. I would never turn it on the radio on my own. At the bars you just have to accept it and it's not too hard to ignore. I generally don't dance anyway.

The hip hop musicians of course have used sampling of much better music from the past to make their own music less bad. There's a hit song where they sample heavily from the Soft Cell song Tainted Love. That's an excellent original song. Although it is parasitic, the use of sampling creates a positive association from the past good song to the sampled song. I can't make out a word they are saying in the sampled Soft Cell song but I do find it catchy and I can tolerate listening to it in a bar.

So we're at the Copper Penny during the band break and some dance song comes on. This song was horrible. I don't know what it's about but the sampling was awful. They sampled some horrible song from the early 90s. Say what? If you lack the talent to create original music and must sample, then at least sample good music. That's why sampling works, because they rip off good music from the past.

This song was trying to sample some 90s crap tune. The period from around 1989-1992 was just awful for popular music. The scene was dominated by the likes of Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Snap, C & C music factory, Roxette, and Technotronic.

The trick to sampling is to sample good music. The music from this period is not good. It's bad, really bad. I can't understand why any contemporary artist would sample it.

This horrible music from the early 90s needs to remain in the trash heap of music history. I do not want to hear it sampled today. It sucked at the time when it came out and it still sucks today.

No comments: