Thursday, November 06, 2008

Went to the dentist

I went to the dentist today. I wasn't really planning to at the start of this week. When I called for an appointment last week the receptionist said it would not be until February. But I went on the cancellation list and it turns out I got to go today.

It's a bit further drive than it was where I used to work, but not too bad. I arrived a bit earlier this morning so I could finish up around the usual time.

The visit was pretty good. I hadn't been to the dentist in around 9 months. She didn't find any problems so that's good news.

Usually in the past I just got the dentist receptionist to call me at work after around 6 months to set up a new appointment. But because of the long wait time when I called in this week I decided to pre book my next visit for 6 months, which corresponds to my benefit coverage.

The coverage is a bit different with my new employer. It's all electronic now so no more of the standard dental claim forms. You just hand over your plan card and they know who you are and how much coverage you have.

One thing which is different is I had to pay out of pocket at the dentist for the first time since I've been in high tech [like 12 years]. My coverage is 90% so I had to spend $13 on my own. But don't cry for me Argentina. With RIM the employee pays a lower share on the health insurance premiums than it was at SupportSoft. So paying around $13 out of pocket twice a year is much better than having 100% coverage at the dentist office and having higher deductions taken out of every paycheque.

No comments: