Sunday, December 28, 2008

2009 resolutions

Resolutions are becoming kind of a tradition after not doing them for many years. This year is a bit different than going into the 2008 resolutions. Unlike the last two years, I don't really have a big thing at this point that I need to do in 2009.

Going into 2008 it was an objective to make a career change. And I was able to accomplish that. Good thing too considering how it turned out back where I used to work. Although it was more luck than skill that my departure turned out to be pretty well timed.

So 2009 may be more a stay the course year. The truth is if my living and working situation is the same this time next year as it is today then the year should probably be considered a success. But these are interesting times. So who knows what historic events I and everyone else could be swept up in over the next 12 months. I shouldn't worry about things I can't control. I just need to try to be aware of and prepared for what could happen and be adaptable to unplanned change.

Financially 2008 was a good year. For the first time in many years I'm better off financially today than I was a year ago. My income increased thanks to the job switch. Spending was kept in line with take home pay. I made some progress on reducing the credit card debts. I even made a token RRSP investment.

For 2009 I want to eliminate the remaining credit card debts [MBNA Mastercard and TD Visa]. Plus I'd like to take some extra chunk off the TD loan. It would probably be good to increase my RRSP contributions.

If gas prices can stay low then I might treat myself to some travel in 2009. PEI, Moncton or Ottawa would all be great places to visit.

No comments: